quick and dirty shift

IMG_2478The weather forecast called for one final hot week, so I whipped up a summer shift one afternoon. I had this seersuckerish fabric in my stash, and I had been thinking it’d be nice to have just a simple shift, not too snug and not too humongous. I used an extremely technical approach wherein I placed different pattern pieces sporting various elements I desired on top of the fabric. In this case I wanted French seams (super easy! No set-in sleeves!) and a basic dress.

I was going to make bias tape, but then I remembered I had some readymade bias tape that came WITH ADHESIVE on it, so you just stick it on! I like the contrast it provides in the neckline and armholes. Okay, so I started putting this together and quickly realized it was going to be too fitted. I contemplated starting over, but I had already completed the neckline and didn’t want to waste it, so I just chopped off the top part and added a new piece for the bottom! Easy peasy! And I didn’t even try to match up the plaid because, well, I am lazy, and I didn’t care.

It’s very comfortable and came out pretty much as I had hoped, plus I wore it on a 90+-degree day and felt fine. I have also come to realize that I am a lazy and impatient seamstress who needs immediate gratification. So, you won’t be finding many tailored outfits around here!

This entry was posted in sewing. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to quick and dirty shift

  1. Lulu says:

    I love this dress, especially the laziness factor, but I think you could rock the more fitted look too.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

It sounds like SK2 has recently been updated on this blog. But not fully configured. You MUST visit Spam Karma's admin page at least once before letting it filter your comments (chaos may ensue otherwise).