I know, it’s a miracle, I actually sewed something! I could have posted this a few days ago, but I was concerned that it might get mistaken for a Halloween costume. This poor tunic endured all sorts of insults prior to its completion! Peter saw me working on it, and mind you, there was A LOT of fabric, quite billowy and such, so he asked me, “Are you going to paint in that? It looks like a painter’s smock.” The next day he commented that it would be a nice nightgown. Then, a friend was over, and she asked if it was my sister-wife uniform.
Well, the tunic is done now, and I have to say I really like it. I used nani iro double gauze from my stash, and dang I love that double gauze! It is so warm and soft and cozy.
The pattern is from this Korean craft book, and yup, it’s that tunic on the cover. (You can read more about this book and how to order it at this post
.) I don’t read any Korean, so I just had to study the diagrams and hope for the best. I made a size medium, since that is what I used before, but I think I should have opted for small in this particular pattern. Like I said, it was VERY FULL AND FLOWY, like Omar the tentmaker flowy.
So that I would not blow up and away like a silver weather balloon, I stitched in three rows of elastic in the back as demonstrated
by my clever friend angry chicken
. I can’t tell you how pleased I am with the results of that trick! The top part uses elastic thread in the bobbin for that shirred look, and the neckline has elastic threaded into it with a button closure (that was kind of a hassle). I just used a rolled-edge hem because I am lazy, but I also like the look of it. This called for fancier cuffs on the sleeves, but hey, I am lazy as well as impatient.
Hope everyone had a nice Halloween! We didn’t get very many trick-or-treaters, so now I have a boatload of full-size candy bars calling to me from the other room. It’s very dangerous.