Read on for the recipe …
Matcha and Lemon Cake – Metropolitan Home Dec/Jan 06/07
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp fine sea salt
2 tbsp plus 1 tsp matcha
1 cup (2 stitcks) unsalted butter, at room temp
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
zest of 1 lemon, minced (I used Penzey’s lemon peel)
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line two bread loaf pans with parchment paper, then butter the paper.
2. Sift the dry ingredients (except the sugar) onto a piece of waxed paper.
3. Cream the butter with an electric mixer until pale yellow and light. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add the lemon zest and mix well (since I used the Penzey’s lemon peel, I did not add the zest at this point. I put the peel in the cup of milk to reconstitute)
4. Add the dry ingredients in thirds, alternating with the milk. Start and end with the dry ingredients. Mix until the dry ingredients are just incorporated. Be careful of overmixing!
5. Divide the batter evenly into the two prepared pans. Smooth the tops and bang the pans sharply on the counter to eliminate air pockets. Bake about 45 minutes (I only baked mine for 35. I would check them after 30 minutes) or until the cakes are golden and spring back when you gently poke them. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Turn out after they are cool.